Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

"The Gallant Hours"

I've got another WWII movie I watched recently that I literally stumbled on.  It is from 1960 called "The Gallant Hours" staring James Cagney.  It is about Flt. Adm. William Halsey.  As much as it is called for to use Halsey's nickname "Bull" for this review, I will refrain since I heard Halsey said he hated that name.

"The Gallant Hours" is about Halsey assuming command in SOUWESPAC and his conduct during the battle of Guadalcanal from 8 October - 1 December 1942.  It is quite a narrative, though inaccurate at times.  Cagney also plays a much more subdued Halsey.  For instance, at the beginning of the film, Cagney gets notice he will take command and simply passes the message to his staff.  In reality, Halsey was heard to have said the famous quote "Jesus Christ and General Jackson!  This is the hottest potato they ever handed me."  Additionally, near the end of the film, Cagney orchestrates the "assassination" of Japanese Admiral Irosoku Yamamoto, when the actual event took place nearly six months after the movie was set (April 1943).  It also has a few dryer moments, such as Cagney playing out the famous November 11, 1942 Naval Battle of Guadalcanal in his head that could have been done without, but hey, I didn't make the film.

The movie, however, does have its good points. There is no actual combat on screen.  It is more a story of Halsey's command from a rear area, and the strategic planning Halsey and his staff undertook to make a successful Guadalcanal campaign.  Cagney knew when to act boldly and when to hold his hand.  I think it also shows the singularity of command:  everyone could give advice, but only Halsey could make the final call.  It is a lonely place to be in command, especially the higher level of command.  Even Cagney said of Halsey's famous "Attack!  Repeat!  Attack!" order:  "It is easy to order an attack, especially when you aren't the one doing the attacking."  Indeed, that is never more true in warfare.  It also showed Halsey surrounded by his staff and having the right people for the job.  Additionally, Halsey also trusted the people with their boots on the ground.  In my mind, this is more like Halsey's WWII counterpart, Adm. Raymond Spruance, whom I admire, but I'm sure Halsey had his moments as well.

For all its inaccuracies, I still highly recommend this film.  Personally, I'd love to see a new Midway movie and also a film about the life of Spruance.  That would be phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment